Tonight’s the night to get your remix or mashup entries in to Mix and Mash: the great NZ remix and mashup competition. If you’ve reused some appropriately licensed Creative Commons material in your entry it’s worth taking some time at this point to make sure you credit your sources properly.
Each of the six main Creative Commons copyright licences have an Attribution requirement built into them – meaning that you must attribute or ‘credit’ that work in the way the copyright holder wishes each time you reuse their work.
If the CC licensor has given you specific instructions on how to attribute them, then be sure to follow these instructions when you cite them in your entry form.
Many CC licensors don’t give you specific instructions on how to attribute them though. On your entry form, follow these rules for EACH piece of CC content you’ve used (based on the Creative Commons FAQ):
- Cite the author’s name, screen name, user identification, etc. You could even link to the person’s profile page, if such a page exists.
- Cite the work’s title or name, if such a thing exists. The judges will want to see a direct link to the original work if such a link exists.
- Cite the specific CC licence the work is under. It’s preferable that you provide a link to the licence.
- Your entry is obviously going to be a ‘derivative work’ (remix) of the original works you are citing. You may want to describe which parts of the original content you’ve changed and how.
– Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand